Wednesday 26 March 2014

Can I call you mom?

She kept on telling me about the problems she was having at home, and I couldn't help it but to put time aside and listen to her. I knew that I was warned not to listen or get attached to any child. but honestly,
it is quite a hard thing to be a teacher and not get attached to a child. It’s a hard thing to be a teacher and not be a part of a child’s life. What should I do when a child wants to share what he or she faces every day? What should I do when a child starts to cry because of hardships at home or simply because they don't feel valuable enough? Should I cast a blind eye and tell that child that I am just there for her/him as a teacher but not as a friend or anything more?


There was always that popular phrase that many teachers used every time they walked into our classrooms. “I am here as your teacher not your friend.”

But how on earth can you tell that to a child? Tears welled up in to her eyes and I drew her closer and hugged her tightly. And I told her that no matter what I still loved her.
She drew back, looked up and then smiled at me.
"Ms Joshua..?" She hesitated a bit.
"Yes?" I said smiling back at her.
"Can I call you mom?"
I smiled wider, nodded, and then hugged her again. Deep down my heart burned with sadness, and I tried hard to blink the tears away.

A couple of weeks ago I was begging the Lord to make my mission her more and more clear. I wanted to know in what way did he want me to related to this children. and right there, while on my knees I felt the Lord finally answering my prayers.

I realized that a child doesn't only need to be fed with good knowledge and understanding, but much more they need affection, appreciation, and encouragement. They need someone to honestly tell them every day that they are loved for who they are. And that they are special in every best way.
A mom. I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment